As hand sanitizer stocks continue to run low, you might be considering making your own. Creating DIY hand sanitizer is actually surprisingly simple. Although it’s not a replacement for hand washing, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend as the first measure of protection against illnesses like the coronavirus.
In order to avoid catching colds, the flu or a virus, the CDC recommends washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds. They also suggest that you do your best to avoid touching your face and staying home if you don’t feel well.
If you’re on the go, hand sanitizer is a great second option. You can make your own at home using a few natural ingredients.
Easy DIY Hand Sanitizer Recipe
- 1 tbsp Rubbing Alcohol
- 1/2 tsp Vegetable Glycerin (optional)
- 1/4 cup Aloe Vera Gel
- 10 Drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Distilled water or Colloidal Silver
- Other scented essential oils
- Mix the alcohol, aloe vera gel and glycerin in a small bowl.
- Add the essential oils until you get your desire scent. Keep in mind that essential oils can be very strong and can irritate the skin. Don’t use more than 10 drops to get the scent you want.
- Add colloidal silver or distilled water to thin the mixture to a gel-like consistency.
- Add a few drops of Vitamin E or Calendula Oil to make sure the mixture is emollient enough to keep your hands from drying out.
- Once all of the ingredients have been combined, decant the mixture into a reusable container with a pump or flip-top lid.
How To Properly Use DIY Hand Sanitizer
Make sure that your hand sanitizer contains at least 60% alcohol so that it will be most effective.
The CDC recommends applying the product to the palm of one hand and rubbing the product all over the surfaces of your hands until they're dry.
Due to frequent handwashing or use of hand sanitizer, your skin may begin to feel dry or cracked. Be sure to stock up on a hand cream you love that will soothe your skin and replenish moisture. Check out the 7 Best German Hand Creams Under $30 to find one that works for you.
Shop DIY Hand Sanitizer Supplies
Vegetable Glycerin by Heritage Products, $7.09; Aloe Vera Gel by Lily of the Desert, $9.99; Marseille's Remedy Traditional Thieve's Oil by Salt Spring Naturals, $22.95; Tea Tree Essential Oil by Herb Pharm, $15.50; Ultra Collodial Silver by Source Naturals, $ 27.50; Cold & Flu Essential Oil Blend by Auroma, $9.20; Vitamin E Skin Oil by DERMA E, $11.50; Calendula Oil by Herb Pharm, $13.50